Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Green Apple + Mozzarella Bruschetta




Ingredients: Granny Smith apples, Ciliegine mozzarella, sourdough bread, fresh thyme leaves, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, kosher salt, cracked pepper

* * *

This is literally something I whipped together on the fly tonight. Since I'll be travelling this weekend, the fridge was empty except for an apple, leftover cheese, and bread. Turns out it all came together nicely with an out-of-the-ordinary bruschetta. 

I think Granny Smith apples are under used and under appreciated! Their tart and tangy flavor makes it more versatile than just sticking them in a pie. They go great with just about any kind of cheese, so I thought I'd add some grilled sourdough to the mix and see what I came up with. The flavors combined perfectly, similar to the tangy/sweet and savory combo of the traditional tomato and basil bruschetta, but more earthy with this version because of the addition of thyme and mozzarella. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT