Thursday, August 4, 2011

From the Market // Shishito Peppers



Absolutely my favorite veggie at the moment. Shishitos are definitely the mildest of peppers, similar in spice (or lack of spice) as bell peppers. They look hot, but trust me, even the seeds are very very mild. The best way to prepare these are to flash saute them in a pan of vegetable or canola oil - you can use olive oil, but since olive oil has a very low smoking point, it will just end up smoking up your kitchen. I like using canola oil since the flavor is mild and it's great to flash saute/fry anything.
You can add fresh garlic at the very end of the saute process. I usually toss them around after the skin starts browning and blistering. Add a pinch of salt and you have an amazing appetizer and/or snack. There is a great restaurant in Chicago, Girl & the Goat, that had a Shishito Pepper appetizer with miso and parmesan cheese. It was out of this world!
I got these beauties from Happy Boy Farms last weekend; one of my favorite farmers in the Bay Area. Also check out their amazing herb selection and salads-in-a-bag (often with fresh, edible flowers in the mix). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT