Tuesday, October 25, 2011

From the Market // Pomegranates

  

I'm sure you've been seeing a lot of pomegranates crop up at the markets lately as they're in full harvest! I think the season might even be ending soon, so stock up. Pomegranates were always one of those fruits that I was slightly intimidated by, thinking it just took too much effort to pull out all the seeds. Plus the juice always turned me off since it stained horribly... but I was so wrong!

It's such an easy fruit to cut into and actually sort of fun to peel. I just cut crosswise in half, and then again so that they are cut into quarters. You then just pry apart the white pith and the seeds just roll out. It's so simple, not messy, and very quick. I think this would be really fun to do with your kids (just tell them not to squeeze the seeds!). They sell fresh pomegranate seeds at Trader Joes already peeled - but each little package will cost you about $3-$4 .... one whole pomegranate was about 50 cents at the farmer's market and will yield about two packages they would sell at the store (the photos of the seeds here are just from half a pomegranate!).

I eat pomegranates with either sweet or savory dishes - on top of your yogurt and granola for breakfast or simmered down into a nice sauce or glaze drizzled over a pork chop. My favorite thing to do is to add some fresh pomegranate on top of my Moroccan Chicken dish. Stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT