Sunday, February 12, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter w/ Honey + Sea Salt





Ingredients: roasted, unsalted, shelled peanuts, canola oil, clover honey, sea salt

* * *

I've been looking for inventive and tasty high-protein snacks to get me through the work day and knew that peanut butter could be an option. I'm not very thrilled with the state of jarred peanut butter in the stores, so I thought I could try and work up a batch of my own. I referred to Alton Brown's recipe to get the basic peanut::oil ratio and then added my own touch of honey and sea salt.

It couldn't have been easier - just throw all the ingredients in the food processor and you're done; further proof that the food processor is possibly the best investment for the home cook. I just added the honey and sea salt to taste, drizzling in some oil to get the right consistency. The oil is key to this - not enough and it will be mealy and crumbly and too much and it'll just be a peanut sauce! 

I just made a great peanut butter and jelly sandwich, the first I've had in probably 20 years. Other ideas that I'm dying to try: nutella/peanut butter paninis, banana/peanut butter melts, or even just a piece of chocolate dipped in this stuff - it's heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT