Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Cabbage Slaw w/ Green Apple + Jalapeno





 Ingredients: green cabbage, purple cabbage, green apple, jalapenos, apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise, salt/pepper

* * *

My 4th of July slaw. I always hated those super creamy, sopping wet slaws, but loved the kinds that were crunchy, refreshing, tangy, and went perfect with a pulled pork sandwich, ribs, or in burgers. I've been researching various recipes and threw this one together, sweating the cabbage first with the apple cider vinegar and salt. Letting this sit for about 30 minutes, allows it to wilt slightly and pulls any additional water out of the veggies (which you can then drain).

I love using apples in savory foods and think their flavor really transforms when you add salt and pepper to them. They add a really sugary and sweet dimension to the slaw and makes it taste even more summery. I was inspired to add raw jalapenos to this recipe, based on the great jalapeno slaw I had last night at Golden State (which went perfect with my burger!). It was very mildly spicy and wasn't completely overbearing.

The mayo was a bit tricky - there are some I know that absolutely hate the idea of mayonnaise, but I found it pretty necessary to use as a combiner which tied all the flavors and textures together. I used a pretty small amount, about two heaping spoonfuls per 2 1/2 lbs. of the cabbage. I tested the slaw without the mayo and it was a bit dry and lackluster, although I know of several slaws that are vinaigrette-based that are excellent (but are more like a salad than a slaw...)

Highly recommend the pre-cut cabbage that comes in a bag to make your life easier! Although there are some coleslaws that look so elegant when the cabbage is cut in squares/cubes, rather than julienned. Some other variations and ingredients you could add: cilantro, lime, beets, carrots, orange zest, orange juice, dill, tarragon, mango..... endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT