Sunday, September 30, 2012

Chomping Ground // Chichen Itza: Agua de Chaya


Chichen Itza Restaurant
(inside the Mercado La Paloma)
3655 S. Grand Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90007

* * *

I wanted to share the most incredible drink that I tried over the summer that I've never heard of before. Chichen Itza is the only restaurant that I've ever seen this drink, derived from the Chaya plant that is native to Mexico and Central America. Chaya, also known as "tree spinach" was a main staple of the Mayan diet, which can be juiced and strained to make a very refreshing and nutritious juice. I would say the flavor is much less potent than spinach; it's a leafy green that is as versatile as spinach, but the flavor is sweeter and less bitter than spinach. It has the most interesting citrus flavor, reminiscent of orange zest and lime juice. It's a little hard to explain, but the best drink I could compare it to is a natural version of good, old fashioned Sunny Delight. 

Chaya plant
© Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, 2009 
I don't think I've ever found a market that sells fresh Chaya, so if anyone knows where I can get it, please share! Otherwise, it's definitely worth the trek over to USC as the food at Chichen Itza is some of the best Mayan food I've ever tasted. It would be unfair to compare this to Mexican food, because it's on a completely different flavor level than other contemporary Mexican food truck, stand, cantina, or restaurant you find around town. And if not for the food, the Agua de Chaya is worth it alone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT