Monday, November 14, 2011

Potato Leek Soup




Ingredients: yellow gold potatoes, leeks, celery hearts, chicken stock, garlic, dried dill, dried basil, unsalted butter, olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, fresh chives, sesame baguette croutons

* * *

This was my first venture into potato-leek territory and it turned out pretty awesome. I created the base in typical mirepoix fashion, so I started by sauteeing the chopped leeks with celery hearts in olive oil and butter. I softened these up a bit for about 5 minutes and added about 3-4 lbs. of yellow potatoes. 

I chopped up the potatoes very roughly, but in small, even pieces and tossed them with the wilted leeks. Your pot should be nice and hot at this point and I added 4 cups of chicken stock and 1 1/2 cups of water; I then added all the dried herbs and brought it to a boil. Simmer it on low for another 40-45 mins.

Bring out the blender and puree/liquefy all of the soup, except 2 cups. I wanted there to be some scattered chunks of potato, giving each bowl and serving some texture and depth. Top with fresh chives and some croutons of your choice! Another option would be to top with some Parmesan Crisps or fried shallots.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT