Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chocolate Almond Bark w/ Fleur du Sel



 

Ingredients: raw almonds, dark chocolate, unsalted butter, sugar, vanilla extract, coarsely ground fleur du sel (sea salt)

* * *
Possibly one of the best treats to gift for Christmas! I was inspired to make this after reading the recipe and seeing the photo in the December issue of Bon Appetit magazine. For my recent tree trimming gathering, I thought I'd make up a batch, but then realized halfway through that I mistakenly bought raw almonds instead of the roasted kind! I had already sugared them at this point, but because they were raw, they were chewy and soft...

Luckily, with the help of some friends, the nuts were saved by sauteeing them over the stovetop with some additional butter, vanilla extract, and a pinch of sea salt. The kitchen smelled like Union Square during Christmas time, with the  aromatics of the sugar and toasted almonds filling the room.

After melting the chocolate over a double boiler, we combined the cooled nuts in the chocolate and laid it out flat over some foil to cool. Top with some reserve nuts and coarse sea salt and set in the freezer to chill. Once set, you can break up the bark as little or as big as you want!

The result is a candy/toffee/nutty/salty/chocolaty goodness (best served cold, in my opinion).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE A COMMENT